No one has to die in this revolution..or taking a test

Continuing my discussion of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the show Reign, I have watched the next episode and, of course, Mary does not run off with Sebastian and defy the Pope but instead marries Francis, the successor to the King of France.

There was a small window in which Mary and Sebastian could have changed the course of history and perhaps broken the political hold over them that existed simply because of their positions in society. What could have happened?

Almost certainly, whatever could have happened would have been followed by death for someone. It seems at that time, even queens died at the drop of the hat.
Mary missed that chance but it was probably a good thing for her.

We haven't missed our chance to change education in New Mexico. The nationwide wave is just now picking up strength and all we need to do is jump on the bandwagon.

Best part is that no one needs to die in this revolution. In fact, I see it as an almost joyous thing, where students, parents and teachers stand up for themselves against political whims and standardized test publishers. We don't have to defeat anyone; we just have to start doing things differently to make true learning possible.

It may seem like I'm getting off track from my own nonprofit, but really I'm not. L&LNM offers free instruction in GED test preparation, and the GED is now owned by Pearson, the same test publisher that publishes just about every standardized test that exists. In a way, they are becoming the Monsanto of the education world.

In fact, I am supposed to put the registered trademark sign after GED now but don't feel like taking the time to do it. I can't find the insert symbol function anyway. They can send the GED police to get me. GED GED GED

As I've traveled this journey, I've come to believe that standardized testing is a truly bad thing. I have to consider this if I am planning to offer classes to help prepare people for a standardized test.

I'm still going to do it, but I will have to make a few compromises. For example, I plan to promote other high school equivalency exams over the GED.

If nothing else, I can spread the message that this kind of testing may be required but it certainly isn't worth stressing over, that it is only a teeny tiny experience in our lives that does not determine in any way our future success or failure. 

Don't listen to legislators or test publishers. They don't know what you or your kids need as learners. You do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems