Changing our diet to save the planet

We walked out of Walmart today with our groceries packed in paper bags, bags like the ones grocery stores used back in the day, no handles or ties. I'm old. I remember them well. 
My son complained a little at the inconvenience, and I said, "Maybe they actually care more about saving the planet than they do about making your life more convenient in the short term."
Good for Walmart, I thought, whatever their motives. And that led me to think, what would happen if businesses simply quit selling meat and started selling plant based foods? What if they did the right thing despite inconveniencing their customers? 
I've been wondering this for a while. When Carl's Jr. came out with the Beyond burger, I was encouraged; all they had to do, in my opinion, is go vegan across the board. Who cares if customers don't like it as well as dead cows? Who cares if it helps save the planet? 
Look, you don't have to like it as well as meat but you can still like it. My dogs love my plant based burritos I make with Quorn crumbles and vegan cheese. I'm sure they know it's not meat but I bet they don't care; my burritos are incredibly tasty. So try thinking like my dogs. Like it because it's good, not because it is or isn't meat. 
I challenge fast food restaurants to offer a complete vegan menu and see what happens. Create a whole commercial campaign that shows a planet being saved and guilts people into giving up meat. Phase real meat out completely over a couple of years. 
This isn't about you and me! It's not about serving to customer preferences. It's about the planet's uncertain future and how we need to sacrifice to undo the damage. It would be awesome if a business that has clout and conscience would step up and do the right thing. Kind comments and suggestions welcome. Until next time, peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Los Alamos Factor

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems