Creative problem solving vs standardized dogma

Faced with the new challenge to buy this property before it is sold to someone else, I had to start thinking creatively. I've had to do that all my life in response to everyday challenges most "middle class" Americans face.

Now I am faced with another challenge and I'm putting on my creative thinking cap for this one because that is what solves my problems, not anything I learned for a standardized test I probably couldn't pass if I took it today.

The Department of Labor awards large grants that can be used to buy properties if they are used for business that would strengthen communities. The program I'm looking at is called YouthBuild. The goal of the program is to help at-risk adults between 16 and 24 learn the construction skills they need to get a good job in construction or a related field. So if I go for a grant from them, I need to incorporate construction. Piece of cake.

The property itself is several construction projects in one. The barn and stables need to be upgraded. The garage could be made into a workshop/autoshop. The casita can be made into a classroom. The fields need to be fenced off so the dogs can't get into them (is that considered construction?).

That is the main component of my proposal -- to buy and upgrade the property so it will support future businesses, including horse boarding and organic farming. We will offer free classes in which students will learn construction skills as they get each project done.

If someone in the class doesn't have a high school diploma, they can take our free GED prep class. If someone wants to learn English better, they can take our free ESL classes.

Once the projects listed above are completed and the property is ready for business, we can start a tiny house building business. First, we will build two or three for program use. Again, students can participate for free. All we ask is that they help build a house.

I want to have a tiny house in case I can't buy this property. I can buy a tiny house without a grant if necessary. It's my plan B.  I can use it at each community we will serve. It will be an office and a home. We will also need at least one more for another person to use to help me with site visits, enrollment/testing/orientations at each site. We may even need one or two for our students who are homeless, who knows.

After we have tiny houses for the program, if it looks good, we can start a business. Tiny houses are gaining popularity. I will be going to a workshop in Santa Fe in May to learn more about building them.

Here's the real challenge -- I have to come up with matching funds from anyone other than federal agencies, to total 25% of whatever YouthBuild grants us, if we are so lucky. We are talking about $200,000. Can I do it? Yes, I can! With help! Any ideas? Please share.

For today, go out and learn something!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems