Freelancing my way to nonprofitness

I've mentioned it before -- back when I had maybe 2 regular readers -- that I have given myself a year to get L&LNM up and running. I think I've made good progress but I took a look at my bank account and realized that I really need to make funding my #1 priority. I've submitted two grant proposals and am working toward the really big one for YouthBuild but what if I run out of money before getting a grant?

From day one I worked on acquiring freelance/contractor work that can supplement my income. And I paid off many debts so that I don't need to make so much money each month.

Wyzant has given me one regular student and I should be getting more hours with her over the summer but that is not enough. So I kept looking at job search emails that were sent to me (many are not good but many, you should be happy to know, are. ZipRecruiter is one).

I ended up as a local coordinator for the Academic Year in America (AYA) program.
(Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AcademicYearInAmerica)

Last week, I did the online training and one phone/webinar session. I sent in my paperwork. I've ordered a bunch of marketing materials. I'm ready to start!

All of this fits in well with the mission of L&LNM. Exchange students in the program must speak English well enough to take a full high school schedule of classes that an American student would take. They can, however, work with tutors on their English or other skills during non-school hours.

L&LNM can provide that as well as instruction that will help students get used to their temporary homes and communities quicker. We can also plan to have orientations, workshops, and celebrations for AYA students and their host families.

The goal of AYA, as part of the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), is to promote diplomacy between the US and the rest of the world, and diplomacy is a political concept. It's hard to do anything without political influence. However, I can live with it in this case.

What I am learning through this is that, while the high school equivalency/GED part of our program forces us to act politically and concentrate on money, the ESL portion promotes those big pictures we want to promote -- a global economy, a world working together to solve problems. There's no Them or Us in my mind. It's families working with other families, communities with other communities.

I need to start writing grant proposals. I hope that you will enjoy this beautiful Monday and learn something! BTW, the picture for this post was created by my daughter, Kelsey, who is 20 but still loves to color!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems