The Bosque Farms WPA Project -- a timely comeback?

The whole Opt Out movement has distracted me lately but it's time to start focusing on building this nonprofit already! I've been researching Bosque Farms. When the owners of this property put it on the market, I read in the realtor's description that it was the headquarters for the WPA (Works Progress Administration, which later became Work Projects Administration). During the Depression, as part of his New Deal legislation, President Roosevelt created work through projects implemented across the country.


There was actually a Bosque Farms project in which 42 families were given land to work into farms. However, the soil was too alkaline so the government helped them convert to dairy farming, which was much more successful. Later, the swampy land was drained so that some farming could take place.

What more compelling reason to fund my ideas for this property than to point out that what I want to do is exactly what the WPA set out to do back then -- create jobs in the community? In a small way, I want to bring back what Bosque Farms was in its glory. I want to renovate and restore one of the original homesteads, resulting in the creation of new jobs.

YES! That sounds good. I can see that the alfalfa and grass farming in the area have become pretty good businesses for some. However, the dairy farming has died. There remains only one in the area. It happens to sell raw milk. Can we bring back more dairies? Is that a good idea? I think I will leave that for another grant, give it some thought first.

Okay, I guess I have some grant writing to do. Teachers, congratulations for making it through another super tough year. I know your work is not done over the summer but hopefully you have a chance to catch your breath before it starts all over again.

For today, go out and learn something fun!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems