Peacocks and politicians

First of all, I want to say that I truly adore those crazy peacocks that live in our neighborhood. The two in the photo are looking through our barn door.They are funny, ridiculous birds.

I love my dogs, too, but honestly, if any of them were people, with the same personalities, I'm not sure I'd like them so much. Same with peacocks. What would they be like if they were people? Easy answer. They would be politicians.

Let's start with what a group of peacocks are called -- a "pride" or a "party". LOL. I worked for the State of New Mexico between 1997 and 2005, first for the Legislature then the Public Education Department. Legislators at that time, in general, were DEFINITELY in favor of a good party. In fact, the whole legislative session each winter seemed to be one big party in many ways.

And don't get me started on the "pride" aspect of the peacock. No one is more proud of himself than the average politician. No humility there.

My daughter informed me that the peacock's tail can weigh as much as 30 pounds, and there is no good reason to carry that weight around. But it's pretty. Isn't that what politicians do as well -- carry around a lot of unnecessary weight that might look nice but serves no practical use?

I could carry this metaphor out further but I think I'm getting my message across. Do we need those pretty peacocks strutting around the Round House, or would we be better served by a different kind of bird?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems