Doggie play days

Kahlua is about six years old now. I love her -- she's the smartest dog I've ever known, and she loves her doggie life. But she didn't always have it so good. For the first year or so of her life, she lived in the abandoned mobile home on the property next to mine. Her owners asked my son to take care of her when they abruptly moved out a few years ago. Danny would go to the mobile home each day and feed her and let her run around outside. 
Honestly, the dog irritated the hell out of me but still, I couldn't stand watching it happen. I told Danny to bring her over. Even though she quite gleefully killed my chickens in a matter of days, I knew quickly that she was a soulmate. She's been with me since, reminding me every day just how beautiful life is. Because she greets every day with doggie gratitude and celebrates it in her Kahlua way...open hearted... positive...funny. 
She is the inspiration for my doggie play yard. I want to help other less fortunate dogs that are in shelters find relief from kennel life with a day out in this rural play yard. 
I can train dogs there, let them run and play, provide shelter and food. I can help when fires or other natural disasters force pets from their homes. I can foster. 
Mariah, my daughter-in-law, owns a dog grooming business, Wash Deez Mutts, in Moriarty. She has volunteered to wash, groom, deshed, clip nails, whatever...for a shelter dog that might need to become even more adorable and adoptable. We'll do this once a month at first, more often if it's successful. 

So my plan, in a nutshell...
1. Create a doggie play yard on my homestead
2. Talk to local shelters about giving their residents play days at the homestead, followed by a complimentary groom at Wash Deez Mutts
3. Train dogs if needed
4. Recruit students, teachers, and others to help design the yard, train dogs, and transport dogs from shelter to play yard, etc.
5. Blog about it
Please stay tuned and comment kindly if you feel so inclined. Until next time...peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

The Los Alamos Factor

creative solutions to some big problems