Students taking control of their own learning

From the get-go on this nonprofit, I have been determined to avoid political influences as much as possible, knowing that it isn't possible to be 100% nonpolitical. However, as I do my research each day and read my regular blogs and newspaper articles/editorials, I am realizing that perhaps I need to keep an open mind about politics -- or at least more open. My opinions about politics are based on what I experienced in the past but things are a-changing in New Mexico, I do believe.

I say this because I am starting to see students taking part in the political process in order to advocate for a better educational system in New Mexico. They question the effectiveness of the current NM Secretary of Education and the need for standardized testing. And they not only question these things, they challenge them, and they support their opinions with solid research. They understand social media and they are using it to its maximum potential. These aren't kids just ranting like spoiled brats. These are young adults taking charge of their own learning and speaking up in a world of adults who don't understand all the potential our youth possess because we are hung up on how things were done in the past.

Students in Santa Fe walked out of the new standardized test being forced on them. In that case, they used a tactic that older generations are familiar with and tend to support. This morning, I was pleased to see on the Los Alamos Daily Post an editorial written by a Los Alamos High School junior, Zachary Goldstein. I wasn't sure what I would blog about today but after reading his well-written thoughts, I was inspired. Check it out. This is what we need to see more of.
http://www.ladailypost.com/content/letter-editor-call-arms.

Comments

  1. Student activism has moved mountains (remember the Vietnam war protests). What better mountains for their activism to move than the ones blocking paths of least resistance to educational opportunities which lead to meaningful working futures rather than mere jobs?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems