tutoring for extra cash

Yesterday I received in the mail my first Wyzant paycheck. $56!!! Woo hoo! I figure, with the travel and planning for the three lessons I was paid for, I made about $5.60/hour. But I'm having fun, and I'm learning a lot.

I was thinking, though, that it would have been great to have something like this when I was working on my BA. College students could make some pretty good money and at the same time, get good experience to put on their resumes. College of Education students could get class credit. Maybe some could even count their tutoring hours toward their student teaching.

I was also thinking that retirees might also find something like this fun to do for a little extra cash.

Having said that, for purposes of my own nonprofit, I need to find volunteers to tutor. Seems like a paradox but it isn't.

This is how I see it. Live and Learn New Mexico! provides free instruction and so far, we have absolutely no money to pay anyone to teach. So we need to find people who will teach or tutor for free, at least until we secure funding. I will be using VolunteerSpot to drum up volunteers.

Part of our mission, however, is to help our students find meaningful employment closer to home and something like Wyzant might help some of those students do that. Our students who go on to college could have part-time income that adds to what they are learning in school.

I started looking at sites like Wyzant to find ways to earn a little money myself as I start my business but I now want to also be able to refer my students, and instructors, to sites that can help them, too. It all fits into my big picture.

Have a great weekend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in search of the Lazy J

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems