crowdfunding for nonprofits

I've been reading a lot about crowdfunding, where teachers fund projects by setting up a call for donations online. This is so awesome for teachers. They spend a lot of their own money on classroom materials and now they don't necessarily have to.

Although I think first as an educator, I know that I also have to think as a nonprofit. A big part of being a nonprofit, specifically a charity, as I've been designated, is to find funding through donations and grants.

I've already submitted a proposal to the Kellogg Foundation and was lucky to talk with them personally but they are interested in two specific NM counties -- Dona Ana and Gallup-McKinley -- and at that time, I was not planning to start up in either. However, I have experience in Gallup-McKinley County; my first teaching job was there. I had always intended to sometime serve that area, too, but was not planning to start up there.

Now I am finding contacts in the area so that I can re-apply for a Kellogg grant. If I can secure one, most of my funding needs will be taken care of.

In the meantime, I still plan to start up at least one GED class this summer, and I need to start advertising it. I think this could be a good crowdfunding project on VolunteerSpot, a site I recently discovered. How nice will it be to write up one good pitch for the class and have it reach many people? It won't take many donations to get the money I would need to pay two teachers for two six-week classes, eight hours per week...$3000 tops.

Update: My Sir Ken Robinson project is going well. He has written a new book that I have pre-ordered. It comes out in April. I decided I had better read as much of what he has written as I can before I frame my question. After all, I would hate to ask him something he has already answered. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in search of the Lazy J

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems