New Mexico -- We "Love to be the Underdog"

So I drove into town today just to get out and feel sorry for myself because L&LNM did not make it to the next round of the XQ super school challenge. I needed some music therapy, and that is best done in the car on the road. My first choice to listen to is almost always the Imagine Dragons.

They were the ones whose song, Trouble, got me home after my stressful high school reunion -- "I took a photograph of me, I was only 19, I looked a little lost at sea, I keep trying to find me."

I'm home again today, and I feel much better. Thank you, the Imagine Dragons, for your song, Underdog -- "That sounds like my luck. I get the short end of it. I love to be the underdog."

As I listened to the song, I started thinking...isn't that what New Mexico is in a way -- the underdog? And don't we kind of like being the underdog because it sets us apart, and there's so much potential there?  Also, underdogs are the ones people root for.

I say let's embrace our underdoggedness! L&LNM is not well known and we have no money but we have heart and we know what it is to struggle to make ends meet. We love New Mexico and we want to see it grow strong through the efforts of its own people. We're not out to win anything; we just want everyone to be able to live a good life.

If you are getting old like me, you remember that once there was even a cartoon superhero named Underdog, an unassuming dog (shown below) who looked down his nose at NO ONE! He knew the only way to look was up. That's what underdogs do.

So let's look up and start working toward a world in which the underdog, or in L&LNM terms -- the struggling student -- can feel like a winner, too.

Go New Mexico!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems