Big Pharma -- Let's Get Healthy Anyway

Michelle Worley here. I was looking at old blog posts and decided to update this one. I think the message is good, and I have more readers now. Woo hoo! Enjoy.

Ten years ago, I was stressed out, and that resulted in some serious weight gain. My blood pressure was off the charts, and my cholesterol was high. I started taking prescription drugs but didn't like them. They worked but very slowly, and they had side effects that made no sense to me.

My parents, especially my mom, were firm believers in the power of prescription drugs. Maybe it's because so many breakthroughs in medicine were made in their lifetime. My mom went to the doctor for every little thing. She even volunteered at the local hospital after she retired. She died in a hospital of a hospital-acquired respiratory ailment.

I've hated going to doctors all my life and luckily, never really needed to see them but at one time as an adult, I came to believe in preventive medicine, which to me was a yearly exam. For a long time, I endured them.

I also began to see a connection between what we eat and our overall health. Early on, I cut down on the red meat but I still ate chicken and processed foods. I still did not eat enough fruits and veggies. I unfortunately drank diet sodas, thinking that was a good thing over drinking sugar-filled sodas.

It wasn't until I saw Cowspiracy that I knew I had to give up meat entirely but it was for compassionate reasons more than health. Interestingly, I learned even more about our health and the need for prescription drugs after I gave up meat.

This is what I learned:
  • Big pharma is just another example of runaway capitalism. It's not about our health. 
  • The best medicine in the world is a healthy plant-based diet.
That's it! After I quit meat, I had energy. I dropped the weight quickly. I could deal with stress better. I didn't feel depressed, a problem that has followed our family through generations, a problem my mother could never quite find the right meds for all her life. I quit the BP and cholesterol meds. I feel great.

We are always looking for a quick fix and that is another reason we turn to drugs but changing your diet doesn't take that long, people! I gave up meat after Thanksgiving 2015, the last time I ate turkey. It will be two years this Thanksgiving and I've never been healthier and happier. Pills never did that for me. 

All the time we see people changing their diets when they get diabetes or cancer. Why wait until you're sick? Do it now! Go slow and give up one thing at a time -- I gave up red meat first, then all meat, then sodas, then cheese.

Think how much money you could save in so many ways. Buying organic and changing to a vegan diet isn't nearly as expensive as being addicted to prescription drugs. Think how happy and healthy you could be. It's all good.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, it's coming up soon. I wish you a peaceful one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems