Learning in Moriarty

This is my first week volunteering for Bethel Storehouse in Moriarty, and I have talked to them about offering a free high school equivalency test preparation seminar. They offer many services like that to residents in the area. They were open to the idea. So I started thinking...

We won't offer a regular class unless we see the need. What we will offer is a monthly (or more often if needed), 2-hour session to show people where to register for a GED/HSE (high school equivalency) test, find websites to help them prepare (e.g., Khan Academy, Google), and other helpful information they might need.

We can also offer tutoring hours for those who might need some one-on-one help and for those who have no computer at home. This means we need tutors/teachers and computers/internet access. Could we use Bethel Storehouse space to have a tutor be around a few hours a week for walk-in help? I will check on that.

I also need to find the closest public library. They usually have computers and internet for those who need it. I need to be able to tell people that they have access to what they need and it's free at a public library. Moriarty has a community library that I will check out to see if they do indeed have those services.

If they don't, I will check with community centers and schools as they often have the capacity to offer such services. We will reach out to these organizations anyway to get the word out and to build community partnerships. There is a Rotary Club in Moriarty that I will also introduce L&LNM to at some point.

My son's girlfriend, Mariah, will be my site liaison and, after she learns the ropes, the teacher for the site. She will do the 2-hour sessions and be there for tutoring hours. She will also work to get more people in the community involved in the program as teachers/tutors.

I'm having a great time getting to know people in Moriarty through the Bethel Storehouse's food program. I'm hoping L&LNM can make a difference to many there. It isn't just about getting your high school diploma; it's about learning toward a better life. So stay tuned, Moriarty! We're coming your way!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems