Statistics Don't Tell the Whole Story

After I published my last blog post, New Mexico Dreaming, I got to thinking...there is so much more to picking out which NM towns the L&LNM super school would start with than simply looking at how many Likes we have on our Facebook page. That would be a very NCLB way to look at it. OMG! I can't believe I was thinking that way!

Before the XQ Challenge even happened, I was discovering NM communities that seemed to have the desire to revitalize their towns and were also using Facebook to get their message across.

I follow the Facebook pages of different community Main Street Projects, and I discovered somewhere along the line that Silver City is a music city. They have a lot of great local bands playing down there. In Tucumcari, I discovered Tucumcari and Quay County Then and Now, which made me more aware of their rich heritage. I also follow pages like City of Dust, New Mexico Museum of Art, Que Viva Espanola, and Memories and Photos in NM.

Some of these pages represent communities that are already doing what I propose -- bringing New Mexico's power back by strengthening their towns and enlightening their residents.

It's so much more than numbers. It's whoever has the passion to do this. It's whoever loves New Mexico and wants to see it shine! It's whoever doesn't care where we fall on a national list. We know better. We know what an amazing place New Mexico is.

So let's do this, Tucumcari and Silver City, Chaparral and Mora, the list goes on! I just checked my Facebook Insights again and see new communities on the list. Woo hoo! And some are communities I am not familiar with. How will I use this data? I think I have some road trips to plan for the spring, get to know more of this fair state.

I also have road trips planned to check out properties for a state conference/professional development center I'm envisioning. I'm seeing some interesting and affordable properties in Tucumcari, Glorieta, Questa, and more.


I'm looking for at least 2 acres of land that has the pieces in place, or the potential, to allow us to do organic farming, tiny house construction, sustainable living as well as meet for conferences.

If you know of property in your town that would work well for something like this, let me know in the comments of this post.

I'm off to see Riverdance at Popejoy today. It's also Super Bowl Sunday or something like that. :-)

However you slice it, it's a great Sunday to learn something new.

Go Lady Gaga!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems