Can't We Just Talk Without Being Mean?

Yesterday I made the mistake of commenting on an article I read on the LA (Los Alamos) Daily Post's Facebook page. It was about healthcare. I wanted to point out that for many of us, healthcare and how to obtain/afford it, was the cause of much stress, stress that caused health problems...a vicious circle. I appreciate the efforts being made to make healthcare available to everyone.

I got replies and was thrilled. Most people disagreed with me but their comments made me think and rethink some of my beliefs. I thought we were having a spirited debate until one guy made the comment that I am an idiot. It bothered me all night. I don't believe him for a minute but still, my feelings were hurt.

So, like I do sometimes when I can't shake it, I thought on it all night, and I came up with a response. I rehearsed it in my head and I will write it here. It will make me feel better so just humor me.

Dear Mr. Mean Guy:

You made two comments on our Facebook discussion yesterday and both were sarcastic and insulting. It's obvious that you have a good job with good benefits and you seem to think everyone can easily achieve that. It's also obvious that you are an angry man who does not know how to empathize with others and their situations. That's too bad. 

You totally ruined a good conversation in which people shared their opinions and ideas. We need to have those conversations. And believe it or not, it's not a bad thing if there are people who just happen to disagree with you on some things, although I don't know if I do or not since you only seem to be able to say insulting things and you never expressed what you think about the issue. I would like to hear that. 

I don't think you are an idiot but I do think you are a nasty human being. My first thought is that you use the healthcare you pay for and pay a few visits to a good therapist who can help you with your anger issues.

Sincerely,
Michelle Worley


Okay, that's all I needed. I'm off to have lunch with a friend and I have promised myself not to think about this so I will crank up the music and sing along as I'm driving on up the Turquoise Trail. I hope you all find something good to think about on this sunny Monday. I also hope you like the photo attached. It is from my father's art collection.

"Navajo Woman on a Horse" by Gerald Nailor (1948)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems