Blogging to Super School-dom

We are starting on the next steps to our proposal for an XQ super school, which are 1) Discovery (youth input) and 2) Design. I will blog as we go along so that I can refer people to it if they are interested and won't need to repeat myself. It's also the best way to reach all those who are scattered around the state but are interested in the project.

Youth Input
I've set up a meeting next week in Los Alamos to talk about how people there can participate (Tuesday, Jan. 5, 3:30, at Time Out Pizza). I will be getting input from some of their (disenfranchised) youth, which is important, given the unique character of that community.

I've also been working on getting input from the young people I know in the east mountain area, and we will be working on that as well at A New Awakening in Rio Rancho.

I haven't heard from anyone who may have read my blog posts on Facebook but hope that people will at some point share their experiences in the comments section under each post.

Mission
The XQ website has lots of good guidance that I plan to use. For the first design subsection, the mission, this question is asked:

What are the mission, purpose, and core values of your school?

Our mission is as follows:

Empowering youth and adults through meaningful project-based learning and problem solving, resulting in happier families, stronger New Mexico communities, and a better quality of life. 

There are some basic ideas, or core values, we hold close as we plan our super school:

  • Learning costs nothing
  • It's about learning, not education
  • Learning takes place everywhere, not only in a single school building or other artificial environment
  • Go local 
    • bring jobs to communities
    • strengthen communities
  • Use technology and the Internet to their full potential
  • LISTEN TO OUR YOUTH!
  • It takes a village...
I hope those out there reading this like the ideas and offer suggestions. If you would like to talk about joining L&LNM on this journey, email me (Michelle) at liveandlearnnm@gmail.com. 

I'm trying to keep this post tight and focused but it's hard -- there are so many ideas to put out there -- so I will stop for now. Before I go, let me remind you to appreciate beautiful New Mexico and, while you're at it, learn something!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems