XQ: The Super School Project Challenge

I received an email a while back about the XQ Super School Project, signed up on their website then promptly forgot about it until I got a second email on a day I was more receptive to the information.

Now I'm super excited to try to meet their challenge. I figure I'm off to a good start with the ideas I have for running an adult education program. This challenge is for the high school level but if we are redesigning high school, do we even need to label it as such? I mean, many of the principles of adult ed apply to the high school level. In other words, the first thing we need to do is get rid of grade levels defined by age.

I've been soliciting ideas from my daughter, Kelsey, who is in college now. We agreed that project-based, problem-solving learning is the way to go. Work on real-life issues, incorporating math, writing, critical thinking skills, etc. into the experience. Don't divide a day into seven or eight classes that separate subjects as if they have nothing to do with each other. 

In fact, don't even have students go to a building every day to learn. Utilize the internet and technology to their maximum potential. Get the community and businesses involved. Let students get out there and solve community/global issues, learn how to run a business, dance, or travel to Mars.

Once a week or biweekly, whatever, project teams can meet face to face but we need to work in a world our young people live in, the world in which we have the ability to learn from anywhere. We don't have to gather in one place anymore. This isn't the industrial revolution; it's a learning revolution.

I took OLIT (now OILS) classes at UNM and learned how to build community and team spirit among students/teachers through online instruction. We did group projects and had weekly chat meetings, and I felt like I knew the other students in the class even better than I knew the other students in my face-to-face classes.

But there is still great value, I believe, in meeting face to face once in a while, especially with teenagers. Schools could still exist but each day, different students working on different projects are there. Teams could meet once a week, once a month, whatever works.

Project-based learning to solve problems
Project ideas could be proposed by students, teachers, parents, business people. The students then choose a project, or more than one, to work on. Teams of teachers, parents, business people, and community organizations guide learning on each project.

Each project team must maintain a database and will write reports of their findings and their learning. All students must learn how to read and interpret data. Just doing the project will cover all the core subjects schools today require and more. It's definitely a more holistic way to learn but that's how life is, isn't it? I can see it working with many special needs students, too.

This is just a start, of course. All we have to do is submit an idea by November 15. If they like the idea, we then flesh out the details and submit a plan by February. 

I really think we can do this, people! New Mexico is the perfect place to try something new. We have that innovative spirit, a little rebellious but with good intent. We've never fallen for the idea that standardized testing works. We are creative, innovative, and outspoken. Let's speak out on this important issue -- our kids' learning.

I can try to build a team through the XQ website but would also like to see who I can enlist through this blog for this important, groundbreaking endeavor. I have heard many of you express an interest in doing something to make a difference in NM.  I'm reaching out to teachers, students, parents, business people, whoever cares. We need all of your voices. 

So if you are interested in this, visit the XQ website, check out the challenge, and then contact me at liveandlearnnm@gmail.com.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems