Offering Flexible Learning Opportunities is Key

I'm preparing for my class at A New Awakening this evening, where we will be looking first at the HiSET (an alternative to the GED, which is owned by Pearson) and finding out together what we need to know to start preparing for the test. We will look at cost, test centers, rules, practice questions, etc. We will NOT be talking about the GED at all except to say that we choose the alternative HiSET, as allowed by the State. 

Then, for math, we will go to Khan Academy  and I will have each sign up as students in my class. I will show them the pretest that will pinpoint areas in math that they need to work on. It will also set up lessons to help them with this. At the same time, as students in my class, I can see what they are working on during the week and get a better idea of what their needs are.


Finally, I will send them home with a writing assignment so that I can get an idea of their writing skills. I will also give them a workbook to start looking at as a review of complete sentences, grammar, topic idea, and other writing skills.  


We can't teach everything everyone needs one day a week, even in a class of only three. This class is all about flipping; my students will tap into the wealth of resources the internet has to offer (and the workbooks I send home with them) to prepare for this test. I will simply guide them each week. We will discuss what they've done since we last met and what problems they might be having or learning breakthroughs they might want to share. 


We will work on computer/word processing skills in class as well. I will schedule a math teacher to come in on occasion,and we will periodically check out HiSET requirements to make sure we our learning is on track. 

If you read this blog and follow my guidelines, you really don't need my class at all. Adults are busy. We work. We raise families. We need help at convenient times, which are not always when school is in session. We also have the maturity to learn on our own and we know how to find help when we need it. 


I'm counting on those facts as I plan how to run this program. Much of it may end up online. That's just how we do things these days. Let's make the most of it. 


Meeting face to face once a week will give us a good chance to talk and work out problems. Most importantly, it gives me the chance to be a cheerleader and help build self-esteem and confidence. It will also build a team spirit -- we are in this together. 

But the studying will be done at home or wherever the student is and has time. Missing class shouldn't impede learning at all. Conversations can still be held via email/text/phone and at other times. It's flexible; that's the magic of it all. 

So, if you do read this blog and you do follow my guidelines, please let me know how it goes for you. I need your input to make this program a good one(liveandlearnnm@gmail.com).

Practical Needs -- Please Donate

I also need at least one more laptop or notebook computer for class. I can use mine for one student and as long as my classes are small, two computers will work fine. They are easier to carry from place to place, too. I also need an InFocus projector so that we can project stuff up on a screen and look at it as a class.

I have some options. 1) If nothing else, I have a Dell account I can use to order the needed items. 2) I was also thinking of doing a FundMe plea for money. 3) I have donation buttons on each page of our website (www.liveandlearnnm.com) but I'm the only one who's donated (when I was testing it to see if it works). If you're reading this, please donate $5. Every little bit counts if lots of people do it! 4) businesses often make charitable donations. I know two people starting their own home for young mothers who are great at walking into local stores and walking out with, for example, donations of wood and supplies to build a porch on the home. I could do that, I think. 

Okay, I'd better wrap this up. It's a beautiful day to go out and learn something! So go do it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in search of the Lazy J

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems