Let's Go Local!

Now that I have started up one class in Rio Rancho, I'm eager to start working on setting up classes in the East Mountain area. Luckily, I discovered a newsletter yesterday in my mailbox that can help me get the word out.

It's called the East Mountain Shopper, and their mission/vision is to "promote community, build relationships, strengthen the local economic market." I like that very much. So I took a look inside.

In the introductory passage on the first page, I liked what they had to say about supporting local economies -- "we encourage you to be purposeful about taking advantage of local resources -- the farmer's market, the craft shows, and the services, skills, and businesses represented in our East Mountain neighborhoods."

Also on the first page is a section called, "Spread the Word!", which introduces new businesses in the area for free. This is where I shall promote L&LNM. That will be my next task -- get something about L&LNM in the East Mountain Shopper. I really need a logo, though, that better translates to t-shirts, ads, and signage.

Next, I checked out the ads and articles about local services and decided to practice what I preach and support some of these local businesses wherever I can:

  • I've been looking online for a storage shed when I could have been looking at Graceland Portable Buildings in Edgewood. 
  • I need to cut down some of the trees in my front yard because there are more than park management allows so I will give Mike's Tree Service a call. They're right here in Cedar Crest. 
  • This week, I took my car to Cedar Crest Tires to have them check on the brakes. They were friendly and thorough. I will be going back to them for other auto work.

What's really great about getting to know the local businesses is that I also get to know the locals. And that builds community. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the East Mountain communities.

So let's bring life back to the local level. Let's pull together as communities and get to know each other. Let's learn a little slower, live a little slower, and enjoy what we have here in the Land of Enchantment. It's all good.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in search of the Lazy J

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems