Learning with our Smartphones

I have not had Internet service at my new home for more than a month now, and I realized that maybe I could be reflecting on what I’ve learned from the experience rather than just bitch about it. For I have indeed learned much from this unfortunate ordeal. What really got me thinking, though, was what someone said on a show I was watching, that if our computers and internet went down worldwide, we wouldn’t know what to do or how to do it. We use technology that we really don’t know much about.

I am of that transitional generation that did not have computers in every classroom. There were no personal computers in our homes. We took notes on paper, writing with pens and pencils. Calculators, not computers, were a fairly new classroom tool when I was in high school. There were computer classes but they were more computer programming than what we think of as computers in the classroom.

When I was working on my BA, I typed on a typewriter, switching at some point to a memory typewriter. If I wanted to work on a computer, I could use the labs at UNM but they were always full so I didn’t bother. I still wrote my class assignments out first and then typed them up, and I did that for years, even after getting a home computer. I can’t imagine doing that now!

I also printed out almost everything I needed to read because it was easier on my eyes. Now I don’t print unless I have to, and I don’t notice the difference between reading paper vs. reading a computer screen. I just zoom in, enlarge the letters.

I continue to take notes the old fashioned way when I go to a workshop or conference. However, I only do that so I can doodle. There’s almost always a PowerPoint printout for every presentation so there is no need to take notes, really. Doodling is perfectly acceptable. I listen better when I can doodle. And I enjoy the break from technology. But what about those younger generations that only know the Internet and computers? The debate with them is whether to continue to learn to write in cursive.

Learning on a Smartphone
Back to my point…it was apparent to me years ago when I started taking classes in OLIT (Occupational Learning and Instructional Technology) at UNM that I was going to have to learn how to use my smartphone more effectively. This program looks at distance education and how to provide meaningful instruction and training, using technology, in remote parts of the world where Internet infrastructure doesn’t exist or isn’t dependable.

The one thing I learned that stuck was that almost no matter where you are, if you have a smartphone, you can access the Internet. The second thing I learned from observation is that no matter how little money a person has, they almost always manage to have a smartphone. It's that important.

This last month has taught me how to use my smartphone to do the things I was doing on my laptop. I needed to learn this so that I can facilitate my students’ learning when I start teaching again. If I don’t know how to use my smartphone to learn, then how can I help a generation that relies almost solely on its smartphones?



I do appreciate the lessons learned but I am ready to return to my laptop. In fact, I am at a laundromat right now, washing big things that don’t fit in my little hand washer and using their Internet. All I have to worry about now is identity theft. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in search of the Lazy J

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

creative solutions to some big problems