Doing time in daycare


I just worked my first -- and my last -- two days at a preschool. I learned a lot but most importantly, I learned that I cannot work with so many little ones. I'm too old and arthritic to do even the fun stuff.


I also learned a lot about early childhood education that I was unaware of before. One thing I learned is that the caregivers who work in the business are knowledgeable about raising kids. 


They do a good job socializing them and helping them learn to clean after themselves, use the bathroom, etc. 
We tend to think of preschool that way. The teachers are parental figures.


I held hands and walked with several sweet souls during afternoon playtime, and I was sad to sense anxiety in so many. Some craved my sole attention, asking question after question, grabbing my hand like it was a lifeline. Some followed me everywhere. Some cried if I came near or even looked at them. 


I felt powerless to help them, feeling like I could use the help of a counselor. 
We are paying attention to our teens' mental health in school. Maybe we should start earlier.
If we had counselors working alongside the early childhood teachers, they could help children through the emotional and social aspects of life. 
Maybe then we would find that the numbers of emotionally messed up adolescents and young adults would drop. 
Address issues earlier so they can be happier longer. 
What do you think? Kind comments and suggestions welcome. Until next time..






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems