The New Mexico Car Hoarder



My son Daniel has been helping a friend clean up his property and I've gone along to help watch my grandson Oliver (shown hooking up a car to tow) or just to get out and about. 
This friend is what I will call the typical New Mexico car "collector" -- hard working, dedicated individuals who start out buying one of a favorite kind of car to fix up and end up with their rural properties littered with more fixer uppers of the same make/model usually. 
In the case of my son's friend, it is BMW for the most part, with a Porsche or two scattered around. His cars are shown in this post. 
Snapping pictures as I hung out, I thought of Dad, another car collector. When I was a kid, he was into Alfa Romeo.        We lived in neighborhoods that didn't have room for car collections but I remember a little old Spider sports car in the rocks at the side of our driveway. I don't think Dad ever got it running. But he had it forever.
Over the years, Dad acquired a Porsche 914 and other interesting autos, no make/model in particular. He collected what he could on his mountain retirement homestead.
Dad would have loved to have a place in the country like this to collect cars. Some call it junk; he called it treasure. 
Happy father's day, Dad. Miss you, love you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems