Suicide: simply moving on?

When I was a kid in elementary school, I talked with my Catholic best friend about suicide. I don't know why we talked about such a heavy subject at that tender age but I do remember her telling me that her church believed that the act of suicide was a sin. I wondered why someone would be punished for this sin. Would knowing it is a sin really deter anyone who was thinking of ending their life? I couldn't believe it would. 

In 1980, the Church admitted that there was a mental health component to suicide. Society in general tends to tie suicide to depression and anxiety. We think there is something wrong with a suicidal person. We don't consider that perhaps the suicidal person is just as sane as anyone; they just see the Universe in a more inclusive way and understand that perhaps committing suicide is just moving on. 

I'm proposing that it is actually sanity in a way, that suicidal people are just tired of this existence. They know there are other existences. We think they regret their decision when they cross over but maybe they don't. We are the ones who are sad, not them. 

I'm still reeling from the death of my nephew's dear son, Donovan. I talk to my great nephew almost every morning. I can feel him with me. I believe he is at peace and he wants us to be at peace, too. We need to look at suicide differently. It's not wrong to put a positive spin on it; it's just a matter of broadening our understanding of how it all works. 

True, our loved ones may not be on this plane with us but they exist still on other planes and dimensions. Because of this, they can be with us when we need them but still follow their path. Donovan is around whenever his mom talks to him but he is also "moving on" in his soul journey. 
Time can be manipulated. We exist in multiple dimensions and have the ability to move from one to the other. Finally, different dimensions or universes can intertwine and overlap. It's crazy. 

So what should our message be regarding suicide? Do we discourage suicidal thoughts? Yes, I think we do. Let's give them positive reasons to stick around. Let's give them ways to cope. Finally, let's tell them that we love them often and sincerely. I tell my kids all the time that they saved me. They gave me millions of reasons to stick this life out. 

If they do choose to move on, mourn their loss but understand they are at peace and they are still with you when you need them. That understanding will help us heal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems