Barns and sheds

What can I say about the many dilapidated barns and sheds scattered all over our state?
 Like many New Mexicans, I see beauty in them, reminders of a simpler time. Not that it really was simpler...
I assume that they were part of the farming lifestyle of rural New Mexico. A little research reveals that there are about 24,000 farms in NM, and 95% are family owned. But how many are still in operation?
I also learned that the shape of a barn indicates its use...was it used to store grains, beans, etc.? 
Or was it used for cattle or horses? I do see cattle on land that otherwise seems abandoned. Is someone checking on the cattle? Is the barn still being used? 
The homes move, leaving behind the barns and sheds to tell the stories of New Mexico.
Until next time... peace 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The apostrophe... punctuation without a purpose

in search of the Lazy J

creative solutions to some big problems